Buttermilk Coffee Cake
June 21, 2012 § 6 Comments
I’ve recently made a pact with myself to only eat 2 heavy desserts a week. Heavy desserts qualifies as ice cream, cake, brownies, etc. You know. Stuff that’ll stretch your belt buckle. Fruit and granola and stuff like that is fair game.
This coffee cake.
This coffee cake is not fair game. I’m warning you. But, I’ll follow that disclaimer with, “But it’s fucking delicious.”
I mean. How could it not be? It’s sugar and butter and cinnamon and flour. You could take a shit on this coffee cake, and it’d only serve as a topping. It’s that good. And moist. Not like other coffee/crumb cakes that kind of crumble into a dry mess of powder. This is not that kind of cake. This has 2 sticks of butter in it. I mean. Come on.
|What You’ll Need||How Much|
|all-purpose flour||3 c|
|brown sugar (make your own!)||2 c|
|baking powder||2 t|
|baking soda||1/2 t|
|ground cinnamon||1 1/2 t|
|ground nutmeg||1/2 t|
|buttermilk||1 1/2 c|
What You’ll Do
1) Preheat the oven to 350 F. Grease the bottom and sides of a 13″ x 9″ aluminum baking pan.
2) In a large bowl, use a fork to mix the flour, brown sugar, and salt.
3) Use a pastry cutter to cut in the butter (You let it come to room temperature, right? No? Well, go here for a protip on how to soften the butter without microwaving it.) until it resembles coarse crumbs. Set aside 1 cup of the crumb mixture.
4) Stir the baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and nutmeg into the remaining crumb mixture.
5) In another bowl, combine the beaten eggs and buttermilk.
6) Add the egg mixture to the crumb mixture all at one time until just incorporated. Don’t overwork that shit. You’ll stiffen the glutens, and no one wants stiff glutens in their cake. No one.
7) Spoon the batter into the greased pan. Remember that cup of crumb mixture we set aside? Grab that and give the batter a good, even dusting with that goodness.
8) Toss that in the oven and let it go for 35-40 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean from the middle.
9) Serve that shit warm out of the oven. Serve it with coffee.
10) You heard me. Put it in your face!